FDMC has a proud rugby tradition and has continued to grow in all areas of the game. An increase in the school roll has certainly assisted in competing at a higher level as well as being prepared to play teams that are traditionally strong rugby schools.
By playing in competitive competitions/games this has enabled FDMC players to get necessary exposure at a higher level. This has also set the benchmark for where the 1st XV wants to be, and wants to aspire to for the future. Over the past 5-10 years it has been extremely pleasing to see the significant number of College students making representative teams across NZ.
Number of teams for 2021
- 11 Rugby Teams (1st XV, 2nd XV, 3rd XV, U15 A, U15 open weight Barretts, U15 open weight Smiths, U65kg Coltmans, U13 open weight, U13 U55kg Red, U13 U55kg Blue, Year 7 and 8 1st XV)
Competitions currently involved in
- 1st XV – Central North Island Rugby competition; Chiefs Cup
- 2nd XV - Taranaki Secondary Schools Premier Competition
- All other teams play in the local secondary school's rugby competition
- De La Salle, Auckland
- Palmerston North Boys’ High School
- New Plymouth Boys’ High School
- St Bernard's College, Lower Hutt